Translating Content on OATS
OATS is a project with international scope - and we are using a system for this site that allows easy translation into other languages.
Can I help translate a page?
Yes please! If you read on you will see how you can translate pages - it is very easy. If you do not seem to be able to translate some pages it may be due to permissions - let us know and we will set this up for you.
How to translate a page:
The workflow for a translated page is the same as a page in english - you can work on the page and save it, however it wont be displayed until you submit it for review.
- Make sure you are logged on to the site with your username.
- Go to the page you want to translate. You should see a
toolbar including the phrase 'translate into'.
- Click on this and choose the language you want to translate into.
- Note - if you can not see 'translate into' or the correct language, contact us.
- A form will open up - on the left hand side will be the original page (in English), on the right hand side you will be able to enter the translation.
- Fill in all the fields accordingly - please translate as directly as possible without editing.
- Click 'Save' ... the content is now saved... you can come back and finish the translation later if you like...
- ... when you have finished translating and Saved the content, click 'submit'...
Note: If you come back to the page to translate it at a future date, you will need to choose 'edit' - not 'translate into' - since the translation page has already been created.
About the translation:
The OATS site is based on Plone - an open source content management system. Plone allows the whole site and structure to be translated quickly and easily. The site is translated in two ways:
- Content translation is managed by a tool called LinguaPlone.
- User Interface translation (buttons etc) is managed by the PloneLanguageTool product.